In a secure area in the city, someone's been doing research behind some intense security. The defences are daunting, but the reward might be worth the risk... if you dare. While short, this is a major quest due to its high difficulty and special reward: the Shifting ability.
- Locate the 'Secure Area' event in the Outside area.
- Pass several skill checks (Dexterity, then Strength) to get past the outer barriers.
- Face and defeat the two ash dragator guards.
- Pass a strength check to open the doors.
- Go to the City Plaza in Qytat a'th Lundrues, accessible via the Floating City of Qytat quest.
- Go north through the new exit to enter the Shifting Room.
- Gain the shifting ability. You now have control of your infected form.
Shifting is an extremely powerful ability allowing you to change your form into that of other infections and permanently boosting your stats for doing so. It is used by typing shift <infection>, with some latitude in providing only a partial creature name. The player will then shift their entire body to the targeted infection after one turn passes. The allowable infection types are those of any random critter in the game and many NPC-specific infections (see Doctor Matt's infection terminal in-game for a full list), including many of which are not themselves infectious. Shifting increases stats by 1 per usage up to the maximum, pre-determined values set by the target species, seemingly acting as if the Bestial Power/Mighty Mutation Feats are owned regardless of whether or not they are.
Exploiting stat gain from Shifting
Some otherwise unobtainable infections can be obtained through shifting, few of which are extremely powerful. After some testing, the infections "Demon Fox," "Dark Tyrant," and "Peculiar Summoner" appear to have the highest stat caps (50+) in multiple stats, which do not seem to be shared with otherwise-obtainable infections.